Family Practice Medicine:
Family medicine is a specialty based on the premise that high-quality, cost-effective care is dependent on an ongoing partnership that views the patient as a whole person in the context of his or her family and community.
The American Academy of Family Physicians defines family medicine as, “… The medical specialty that provides continuing and comprehensive health care for the individual and the family. It is the specialty in breadth that integrates the biological, clinical and behavioral sciences … (encompassing) all ages, both sexes, each organ system and every disease entity.”
Family physicians are medical specialists
- Family medicine has been recognized as a medical specialty by the American Medical Association and the American Board of Medical Specialties since 1969.
- Comprehensive training includes three years of residency.
- Family physicians are leaders in quality of care: family medicine was the first medical specialty to require recertification for continued membership.
- Unlike other specialists, family physicians’ training focuses on the whole person, not just body systems or specific diseases.
- No other specialist has the myriad skills necessary to diagnose and treat such a wide variety of illnesses.
- The special value of family physicians lies in their unique ability to care for both sexes and all members of the family.
- Training includes obstetrics, gynecology, baby deliveries, infant and child care, care for adults, surgery, emergency medicine, sports medicine and orthopedics, psychiatry, geriatrics, skin diseases, disease prevention and public health.
- Family physicians are uniquely able to guide patients through the often bewildering medical system.
- Family physicians are trained to serve as patients’ advocates.
- Family physicians are trained to select the best subspecialists for patients.
Family physicians are the specialist of choice for half of America
- General Evaluation Services
- Pediatric Services
- Geriatric Services
- Occupational Medicine
- Patient Education
- Preventive Care
- Minor Surgical Services
- Visual Exam
- Well Woman Exams